Hairspray - International - Tim Sellars
Filed in: International
Tim Sellars' drum set setup for Hairspray at the Isaac Theatre Royal in Christchurch, New Zealand for Showbiz Christchurch.
"You'll notice that I have a heavy set up of gear on my left side and this is due to me playing open handed."
“I have played many different musicals throughout the years and this was one of the most enjoyable drum books I have played so far; involving a variety of styles and great grooves. Enjoyable 60's pop, Big Band swing numbers and a little Latin feel (like the rumba in ‘Miss Baltimore Crabs’).
For our season of Hairspray the band consisted of drums, percussion, bass, guitar, trombone, trumpet, and two keyboards (with other instruments on track). I used the Miller Machine on the tune ‘I can hear the bells’ where I was playing it in a hi-hat/cross-stick groove and had it mounted on my left side using a Gibraltar single post percussion clamp. You can never have too many of these clamps. I use many of them in the different shows I play.
You'll notice that I have a heavy set up of gear on my left side and this is due to me playing open handed. I'm left handed but play right footed so when I first started playing drums it felt natural to play on a right handed kit. Overall, great show to play and looking forward to the next one.”
Drums: Taye RockPro
- 20" Bass Drum
- 14" Floor Tom
- 12" Rack Tom
- 10" Rack Tom
- 14" Snare Drum
Cymbals (from left to right):
- Bosphorus 13" Hammer Series Hi-Hats
- Bosphorus 18" Traditional Series Paper Thin Crash
- Zildjian 21" K Constantinople Big Band Ride Cymbal
- Zildjian 17" A Custom Crash
- Bass Drum: Powerstroke 3 for both Batter and Resonant Heads
- Snare Drum: Coated Ambassador Batter and Clear Ambassador Snare Side
- Toms: Coated Emperors for Batter and Clear Ambassadors for Resonant
Percussion and Accessories:
- LP Cyclops Jingle Tambourine
- Miller Machine with Treeworks 5" Triangle
- Gibraltar Single Post Accessory Mount (2)
- Zildjian Bill Stewart Artist Series Drumstick
- Vic Firth SD2 Bolero Stick
- Regal Tip Classic Brushes
- Vic Firth T1 General Timpani Mallets