• Drum Set and Percussion Setups from Musical Theatre and More

Patrick Morrow - The Color Purple

Patrick’s setup for The Color Purple at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.


“At the Milwaukee Repertory Theater there was only a budget large enough (and physical space) to hire seven musicians. Rather than re-orchestrate the arrangements for seven, they opted to have six live musicians (piano/conductor, trumpet, reed, guitar, bass and myself on drums) and record the rest of the musicians to a click that we'd play along with. This meant playing along to roughly 80% of the music with a click track synced with the pre-recorded parts. The other 20% was the live six of us in spots where the music could 'breathe' a little. This meant I did next to no changes or substitutions with the 'ghost' percussion book, with the exception of adding a couple of triangle hits. Thank you Miller Machine!”

My gear includes:
  • Ludwig Classic 12”, 16” and 20” Drums with Birch Shells
  • Arnie Lang/Gladstone 6”x14” Snare
  • Zildjian 15" Kerope Hi-Hats
  • Zildjian 18" K Constantinople Crash
  • Bosphorus 20" Traditional Ride
  • Zildjian 17" K Custom Fast Crash
  • Remo 14" Djembe
  • Carroll’s Vintage Bell Tree
  • Caxixi
  • LP Egg Shakers
  • Avocado Shaker
  • LP Rock Shaker
  • Meinl Wood Rattle
  • TreeWorks Chimes
  • And of course the Miller Machine outfitted with an Alan Abel small triangle.